Skip to main content

Cloud Computing provider, RightScale Secures $13 Million in Venture Funding

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – December 8, 2008 – RightScale, Inc., the leader in cloud computing management, today announced that it has secured $13 million in its second round of venture capital funding, led by Index Ventures. Current investor Benchmark Capital, which led RightScale's first round of venture financing, also participated in this round. In addition, RightScale announced that Index Ventures partner Danny Rimer has joined the company's board of directors. RightScale will use the proceeds to accelerate product and market development of its cloud computing management platform to meet growing demand, including support for new clouds and expansion into additional geographic markets.


Michael Crandell, CEO of RightScale, commented, "Index Ventures has a superb track record in identifying winning technology companies in high growth markets, and we are very pleased that they have demonstrated their confidence in RightScale by leading this financing round. The market for cloud computing is exploding, and this funding will provide the capital to cement our position as the leading cloud computing management vendor and to prepare for further growth in a very promising and expanding marketplace."

Over the next five years, spending on IT cloud services is expected to grow almost threefold, reaching $42 billion by 2012, according to industry research firm IDC. Specializing from its inception exclusively on cloud computing technology, RightScale is well positioned to maintain its leadership position as this industry matures. The company has two years of real-world cloud computing experience and thousands of live deployments. Over 200,000 servers have been successfully launched using the RightScale cloud management platform.

“Having looked at this space in great detail, we believe that RightScale will continue to be the clear leader in cloud computing services," said Index Venture's Rimer. "With RightScale's platform, organizations can quickly realize the benefits of cloud computing without the risks commonly associated with cloud deployments, such as vendor lock-in and loss of IT control. We’re very excited to be working with RightScale's experienced team to guide the company's growth, including its expansion into the European market."

RightScale's Web-based cloud computing management platform lets any organization tap the enormous power of cloud computing for scalable, cost-effective IT infrastructure on demand, while maintaining complete control and flexibility. RightScale reduces the complexity of cloud computing, enabling organizations to deploy mission critical applications in a matter of hours, without the risk of lock-in at any level. With sophisticated "cloud-aware" server templates, the fully-automated RightScale platform requires little knowledge of cloud architecture to deploy, manage and dynamically scale even complex, multi-cloud applications.

For more information about the RightScale cloud management platform, please go to http://www.RightScale.com.


About Index Ventures

Index Ventures is a leading European venture capital firm active in technology venture investing since 1996. The firm is dedicated to helping top entrepreneurial teams in the Information Technology and Life Science sectors build their companies into market defining global leaders. The firm has offices in Geneva, London and Jersey and focuses on investments from seed through growth stage companies. Recent exits include Skype (the pioneering communications company acquired by eBay); MySQL (the world's most popular open source database recently acquired by Sun), Last.fm (the world's largest social music platform, recently acquired by CBS) and BioXell (BIOX, floated on the SWX in 2007). For more information, please visit www.indexventures.com. For more information, please visit: www.indexventures.com

About RightScale, Inc.

RightScale is the leader in cloud computing management. Founded in 2006, the company offers a fully automated management platform that delivers the scalable, cost-effective, on-demand power of cloud computing, while maintaining complete IT control and transparency. To date, thousands of deployments and over 200,000 servers have been launched on the RightScale cloud management platform for industry-leading companies. RightScale is committed to delivering the power of cloud computing to any organization by making it easy to deploy and manage mission critical applications, regardless of deployment size, complexity or cloud platform used. RightScale is headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. To learn more about RightScale, please visit http://www.RightScale.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...