Skip to main content

Google Cloud Event, Sept 12th 2008: "Cloud Computing: Navigating the Next Frontier"


If you're in D.C, then you should not be missing it.



Computer applications and data storage increasingly are moving from the desktop to the remote servers that make up "the cloud." But despite the popularity and convenience of these new services, cloud computing is still not widely understood. What do users really know about working in the cloud? Are data and applications secure in cyberspace?

As part of the ongoing "Google D.C. Talks" series, the Pew Internet & American Life Project will release a new research report on "Use of Cloud Computing Applications and Services," assessing consumer attitudes about cloud computing. Experts on cloud computing and privacy, as well as a representative of a leading cloud computing company, Salesforce.com, will respond to the new report and share their own views on this new computing model.

Presenter:
John Horrigan, Associate Director for Research, Pew Internet Project

Respondents:

* Dan Burton, Senior Vice President, Global Public Policy, Salesforce.com
* Mike Nelson, Visiting Professor, The Center for Communication, Culture, and Technology, Georgetown University
* Ari Schwartz, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Center for Democracy and Technology


Google

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redhot Future Of IT Part I :Marketing yourself as IT professional

I had promised about the "RedHot IT Future Series" and so we discuss here how you should market yourself EFFECTIVELY as an IT professional in this new (and dangerous) web age! Web is the place where you're a hero today and villain tomorrow. While there are lots of professionals who are active on the web, not all are enjoying a good reputation as they got "personal" with others and got into a cockfight. The passive IT professional has nothing to lose but nothing to gain at all!

I know "marketing" might seem as a greasy term but the idea is to have the truth about you out there. You know you're a good person and your family knows that you're really smart person but the rest of the world doesn't!

So the question is how do I market myself on the web as a true "nouveau IT professional". A guy who companies will be tempted to pick up the phone as say "Hey, we wanna talk with you. Can you fly over to Palo Alto (or Guatemala or Johan…

Redhot Future Of IT Part 2 :Virtualized Workplaces

Click on the title to hear what I have to say, alternatively click here to listen to what I have to say here.

So what is a virtualized workplace? Does it mean it does not exist? That it's virtual? Well in a certain way YES. This is where the future of our workplace is going to be. Well it is already a reality in some countries.

OK lets start by asking ourselves these questions:
Do you really bond with your colleagues? (think Team cohesiveness)
Do you spend great amount of hours talking about great things that you will do together? (think collaboration)
Do you really feel that you give 100% at work? (think effectiveness)
What do you really miss at your desk? (think personalization)
Is your desk comfortable enough? (Again think optimizing personalization, OK you have done your best to make it your place)Does it really matter to your employer that you are there for him/her? (think commitment)
Or do you get micromanaged over petty issues? (think mismanagement)
Do you see your employees perfor…

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall
-----------------

Dress me up in my new threads
clasp my greasy palms
grease my hair
I'm ready for the fall


Watch at all the decadence
watching the avalanche
I'm slipping down
losing my buoyancy


What's become of us
where have we come
this far, this close
close to the doors


I hear them, sublimal chants
I'm on the run
I race through the human sea
I am the king!


I'm the slave
to my own undoings
I'm the jester in my courtyard
We jest as we run


We're strolling on that thin rope
we grope as we rope
we're true heros
we're the survivors


we're the scavengers
we're the friends
we're the lovers
we're the unbred


Soon awaiting the fall
we're lurking on us
we're osedaxing us
we're soon going to be done
we'll soon be arrested




*osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here