Skip to main content

Google Gmail a blow for the Cloud?

Honestly I didn't notice a outage.

In the last year, the idea of "cloud computing" -- the transition of desktop computing functions like email and word processing to external servers managed by tech giants -- has gained an enormous amount of traction. Today, most tech observers agree that in the future, much of our data will be stored in "the cloud," a vast network of inter-connected web-based servers far removed from individual users.

But several recent high-profile outages of popular web-based services, including Twitter, Amazon's S3 storage system, Apple's MobileMe web software suite, and now Google's Gmail, raise serious questions about the reliability of cloud computing. (After a 90-minute, apparently system-wide outage, Google said the problem was fixed.)

The GMail outage affected millions of users in the middle of Monday afternoon. Consumers and businesses weighing whether to use Google's online suite of tools, Google Docs, have taken notice. "Given the amount of my digital life that is stored at Google, it's a wake-up call," wrote Mashable.com blogger Mark 'Rizzn' Hopkins.
More here.

Comments

  1. I share your concerns, up to a certain extent. But on the other hand Gmail is free (and very poorly monetized via the ads that nobody ever clicks on) so they don't have to guarantee a permanent uptime. Google is known for using loads of cheap servers rather than a small number of expensive ones. The downside is that sometimes those cheap servers stop working, but without them we wouldn't have a free email with so much storage. (OK, there may be other ones now, but they all came about in response to Gmail.)

    There are other services, such as Salesforce.com, which are web-based and yet they are very reliable (although they did have at least one major outage to my knowledge: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-146130.html ). Salesforce and other web-based services that customers need to pay for work on good and reliable servers as opposed to the endless racks of cheap servers used by Google. (In fact I believe Google too uses expensive servers for their paying customers, such as the businesses that use Google Apps.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, though, bad things happen to documents even on your own hard drive occasionally (viruses, bad sectors, etc.). And hardware sometimes fail, even in the personal computing world. And even on the biggest internal corporate networks, systems sometimes go down temporarily. I'm not that concerned yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...