Skip to main content

Cloud Computing an IT Operations Outsourcing trend; Will China steal India's thunder?



Amazon knows somehow that listening to the voices and walking in the footsteps of IBM will eventually help them get there somewhere. Today I had an investor call and funny thing is that lately I am getting people asking me and mixing invariably technology trends such as virtualization and outsourcing. Obviously, if you saw one of my presentations, you'd understand that mixing business talk with technology cakewalk is what we are all heading towards. Versatilists will understand that talk and will be able to walk that walk.

Should Indian outsourcing firms like Wipro, Satyam, Infosys, Patni, TCS, HCL etc want to maintain and sustain the typical growth trend then they will have to be just more that "preferred outsourcing parties", being number one on such a list can be a terrible thing. They have to get on to other things. They have to go after global footprints and with globalized leaders. They cannot afford to have those "typical indians" who may be technology savvy but fail miserably in cultural compatibility. Indian's are mostly portrayed as simple, naive folk, while they would like to believe otherwise. The fact remains that the twang and the absolute unglobal facade betrays the brilliance that many executives have.

Secondly they cannot afford to wait for an acquisition to come their way. SI or any other consulting firms such as CSC, ACS etc may be doing their businesses and Indian firms stuck to their one exciting but today innovation-less business model. This needs to change dramatically. They have great tools in their arsenal, they are great in process and structure, they are excellent in execution and very much driven for the "sake of India's glory and pride". This, when combined with a newly carved up niche can help the Indian firms to take on the like of IBM, Accenture, HP/EDS.

Should they not do this, they will soon see a gradual disappearance of several traditional ITO, most of them will be repalced with the "Self-Service Models and Frameworks". Then customers just don't need any Indian's to answer the phone or emails. They can "fix" or "restore" their previously saved state.

How does all this have anything to do with Cloud Computing? Should they be able to deliver applications through their own infrastructures and participate/collaborate with other firms to expand their "Global Infrastructure Footprint", they will be able to compete for that $100 Bn market.

How can it happen then?

  • Go for multiple acquisitions (SaaS firms, SalesForce, Rackspace and other smaller ones)
  • Get into the Consulting/SI business by acquiring more nimble European and US competitors of not-so-nimble suffering SI firms
  • Get into innovation, Research, Ideation (Idea Generation), Web 2.o techniques to do online, Real-Time reporting/dashboard/pre-sales etc (This list can go on and on)
  • Hire true and global staff across global offices, mere acquisitions will not help. Unconventional times ask for unconventional, versatilists.
  • Get glocal with a typical "two-way longitudinal services distribution and delivery model". Meaning US served by S. America and S. America served by US etc
  • Get into infrastructure market, if not yet explored.
Anyways, here's the other story:

Whereas SaaS is predominantly a Business Process Outsourcing trend, Cloud Computing is predominantly an IT operation outsourcing trend. IBM and its shift towards services, supported by best-in-class hardware, has been leading this IT outsourcing concept for more than a decade now. However, IBM's main clientele have been large scale, high-availability, high-liability business such as Wall Street, credit card companies, and insurers. The shift created by SaaS as well as Cloud Computing is retargeting the IT supported business process services towards the mid-market where it will proliferate in a very different direction. High-availability is costly, as is high-security. Those are attributes that the mid-market is not going to pay for: they sure haven't paid for it in their own IT infrastructures. That will allow Cloud Computing service providers, such as Amazon Web Services, to provide a truly disruptive technology since it brings a whole new group of customers into the market. A segment that is cummulatively speaking more valuable than the high-end customers of yesteryear.
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...