Skip to main content

Cloud Computing: Sun wants the heavens with Caroline

Well if not the heavens then I'd say it certainly is going to promise you the clouds. Loads of clouds!

Ashlee covering Sun doing the Amazon EC2 with Caroline:

The concept of utility computing has technically been around since the mainframe days. You fire up a large machine and then rent out time to different users.

The utility model, however, gave way to client-server computing during the major data center build out that has been underway for decades. Companies became accustomed to running their own infrastructures and largely relied on placing one or a limited number of applications on each physical server.

Thanks to massive increases in compute power, storage and bandwidth and more attention to virtualization software a revitalized form of utility computing is taking hold. Some companies like Salesforce.com rent out a specific software utility – customer relationship management software. Others like Amazon.com and more recently IBM – the time-sharing king – look to offer up their data centers for a wide variety of tasks, including storage and application hosting.

Sun has spent the last couple of years trying to get a variety of utility computing services going. But it has mostly focused on more familiar big business customers with processor and storage renting by the hour or gigabyte. Hey, Pixar, do you need to run some huge rendering job? Send the work over to our super-charged cluster instead of buying your own hardware. Valero, you've got some oil exploration data to crunch? Boy, do we have the hardware for you.

Unfortunately for Sun, regulatory concerns slowed the delivery of these services with the US wanting to make sure data remained secure and isolated for each customer and that overseas terrorists couldn't tap into a supercomputer for, say, weapons designs or the most efficient ways to spread a chemical weapon through a crowd.



Link here and Caroline here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...