Skip to main content

2008: "InformationWeek's 5 disruptive technologies" very confusing!

Really, I just don't understand what this mad online journalism is doing to people. Let's take a look at this very quickly. It really doesn't make sense to me, maybe you can help me understand why it makes sense.

First of all, half of the disruptive technologies have already be disruptive for quite some time. Virtualization, VoiP etc. Outsourcing Data Center is NOT a technology, it is a trend.

  1. Virtualization: quoting this from the page: "

    And there is a growing collection of pre-built "images" from both Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) (which calls them virtual hard disks) and VMware (which uses the term virtual appliances) that can make setting up a new server or desktop OS easier than ever before.

    Kusnetzky talks about new developments in virtualization that will allow a user to start a virtual machine in one location, suspend its operations, and then continue working from a different computer, exactly where things left off -- similar to how a laptop can wake up from sleep mode. "This means you can have a virtual desktop that is constantly running and accessible from anywhere in the world and yet be completely secure," he said."

Sorry but isn't it called web...duh! Why would I need to even know that I am working behind a virtual appliance and why o earth would I pause my operation, fly down to China and restart it back from there. Haven't we heard of "time sharing"? I'll pass on that work to someone else and there that work can be resumed. Note resumed while I did my job here. Phased workplaces, time-shared entities and logical forwadism, that is what it is, not just pausing an operation! We are moving towards a continuity model. I was chatting with a couple of Aberdeen Research guys and we agreed that it is the "continuity and shared model"that we have to look at, pause has always worked. We never needed a virtual appliance for it.

It is not totally incorrect, that vision, but it does seem to suggest some practices that are not really where enterprises are waiting for. not in that manner.

2. Apple in the enteprise: Not a technology, but a trend
3. VoiP: Not anymore disruptor, more of an emerging trend
4. Outsourcing Data Center: So totally not a technology
5. "Presence" : also a trend, apps indeed disruptive.

Here they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...