Skip to main content

2007: Top industry M&As; Dell scores twice!

And rightly so, I'd say. Dell, under Michael's stewardship, is going good.

Quoting techtarget:

7. Dell/SilverBack -- Services foray


  • Specialties: Remote monitoring/management.
  • Reason for merger: Expansion into managed services.
  • Cost: Not disclosed.
  • Reason the channel should care: Dell's arrival in managed services comes as many resellers hope to move in that direction.

    Dell's push into managed services via its acquisition of SilverBack Technologies got the channel's attention. The historically direct seller could prove a rival to VARs moving into managed services or reselling them. On the other hand, Dell could use SilverBack -- and its pending purchase of Everdream -- to work more closely with the channel. Both SilverBack and Everdream had been building channel programs.

    Channel threat or channel ally? The answer may lie somewhere in the middle. Jeff Kaplan, managing director of market consultant ThinkStrategies Inc., said he believes Dell aims to offer services directly and through partners. He said the channel is most likely to play a role in midmarket and some small-business sales.

    8. Dell/EqualLogic* -- SAN channel marketing

  • Specialties: Storage area networks (SANs).
  • Reason for merger: Tap iSCSI SAN market.
  • Cost: $1.4 billion.
  • Reason the channel should care: The deal puts Dell in the middle of the SMB storage space, a sweet spot for resellers.

    Vendors of iSCSI storage products have opened the SAN market to smaller businesses. The EqualLogic deal lets Dell get in on that action. EqualLogic's expansion into high-performance iSCSI means that Dell will have an avenue into larger enterprises as well.



  • Read the rest here!

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

    vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

    A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

    Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

    Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

    I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...