Virtualization platform enhancements help deliver new levels of performance, scalability and compatibility for running the most demanding workloads in virtual machines:
- Expanded storage and networking choices such as support for SATA local storage, 10 Gig Ethernet, and Infiniband expand storage and networking choices for virtual infrastructure
- Support for TCP Segment Offload and Jumbo frames reduce the CPU overhead associated with processing network I/O
- Support for hardware nested page tables such as in processor assists for memory virtualization
- Support for paravirtualized Linux guest operating systems enables higher levels of performance through virtualization-aware operating systems
- Support for virtual machines with 64GB of RAM and physical machines with up to 128GB of memory
New virtual infrastructure capabilities help deliver increased infrastructure availability and resilience:
- VMware Storage VMotion enables live migration of virtual machine disks from one data storage system to another with no disruption or downtime. VMware VMotion has become an indispensable tool for many infrastructure administrators to dynamically balance their server workloads and eliminate planned downtime for server maintenance. Storage VMotion extends VMotion to storage resources of a virtual machine, namely virtual disks. Using Storage VMotion, administrators can dynamically balance the storage workload and address performance bottlenecks by migrating virtual machine disks to the best available storage resource. Administrators can minimize service disruption previously incurred for upgrading storage arrays and free storage administrators to improve and manage the storage infrastructure without having to co-ordinate extensively with application and server owners.
- VMware Update Manager automates patch and update management for VMware ESX Server hosts and virtual machines. Update Manager addresses one of the most significant pain points for every IT department: tracking patch levels and manually applying the latest security/bug fixes. Patching of offline virtual machines enforces higher levels of patch standards compliance than physical environments. Integration with VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) enables zero-downtime VMware ESX Server host patching capabilities.
I am very much interested in the PUE vs DCE and how these suites will directly address these concerning issues. Do I also get some reading on how I am helping my firm/clients contribute to that CO2 reduction within their local community?
Anyways check out the press release from VMware.