Skip to main content

Microsoft to bid 1$ Billion for XenSource?

This is not what I am predicting and this is NOT going to threaten VMware. By no chance! But anyways, people are suggesting to me that Microsoft is considering to buy XenSource for around $1-1.2 Bn dollars.

I personally don't think that this may happen and without Citrix, and it somehow JUST does not fit in well with it's penguin cousin. But you just don't know!

Updated:

This news article seems to suggest that too:

As the dust settles on an active week in virtualization software, some observers speculated that Microsoft Corp. could attempt to top Citrix Systems Inc.'s $500 million bid for virtualization specialist XenSource Inc.

Citrix announced Wednesday, Aug. 15, it would buy XenSource, a Bellevue, Wash. provider of open source server and desktop virtualization software, for $500 million in cash and stock. That deal, scheduled to close in the fourth quarter this year, followed the public debut Aug. 14 for VMware Inc., the clear leader and a XenSource and Microsoft rival in the virtualization software sector. VMware roared out of the gate with a $1.1 billion initial public offering and was valued at $19 billion.

'It is quite likely that Microsoft may put in a competing bid on XenSource to the level of $1 billion,' said Trip Chowdhry, senior software analyst at Global Equities Research. 'And I would say if Microsoft puts in a bid, IBM won't stand still.'

Chowdhry said a Microsoft offer would make sense for several reasons. The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant has 'been a total failure when it comes to virtualization,' he said. Microsoft is in the process of building its own virtualization technology, called Viridian, which will be integrated with its Windows Server product slated to be released in the third quarter of 2008.


Link here.

Comments

  1. I've heard rumors that Microsoft is the ones who pushed Citrix in to buying XenSource over Virtual Iron as Microsoft wants Citrix to add the value to their up and coming Hypervisor the way Citrix has for Terminal Services. This way Microsoft will have a BIG partner in their war with VMware. Microsoft fears VMware much more than they do Citrix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...