Skip to main content

Google's browser, the engine for the Cloud?

I don't know what Om is raving about, but Shankland too wrote a brave post about how he shifted to Chrome. I particularly like Firefox for all it does for me. I do fat things, I have heavy needs and I am not in need of something fast when I am pretty much content with the quality of content delivered to me.

So for all the cool extensions like ABP, IE plugin, Facebook, LinkedIn etc etc, I am not about to pick Chrome. Nice article but it really doesn't make any solid case for Google's Cloud readiness. They're good in search and have a lot of data indexed. That it.

A lot has changed in the past 10 years. For one thing, the cost of hardware and network infrastructure has declined sharply. Such a decline has led to what's known as cloud computing, whereby companies like Amazon.com (AMZN) offer infrastructure on demand. That has, in turn, allowed innovators to roll out their applications without making major outlays up front.

In the meantime, always-on broadband connections at home, work, and on the move have become commonplace. This has served as a catalyst for those who have developed Web services that are now screaming for browsers that allow your data to live on the Web but be accessible offline, a trend I first wrote about in a column for the now defunct Business 2.0 magazine back in March 2006.



Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Splunk that!

Saw this advert on Slashdot and went on to look for it and found the tour pretty neat to look at. Check out the demo too! So why would I need it? WHY NOT? I'd say. As an organization grows , new services, new data comes by, new logs start accumulating on the servers and it becomes increasingly difficult to look at all those logs, leave alone that you'd have time to read them and who cares about analysis as the time to look for those log files already makes your day, isn't it? Well a solution like this is a cool option to have your sysadmins/operators look at ONE PLACE and thus you don't have your administrators lurking around in your physical servers and *accidentally* messing up things there. Go ahead and give it a shot by downloading it and testing it. I'll give it a shot myself! Ok so I went ahead and installed it. Do this... [root@tarrydev Software]# ./splunk-Server-1.0.1-linux-installer.bin to install and this (if you screw up) [root@tarrydev Software]# /op

Virtualization is hot and sexy!

If this does not convince you to virtualize, believe me, nothing will :-) As you will hear these gorgeous women mention VMware, Akkori, Pano Logic, Microsoft and VKernel. They forgot to mention rackspace ;-) virtualization girl video I'm convinced, aren't you? Check out their site as well!