Skip to main content

American Elections 2008: Can McCain still fire Palin and Get Joe Lieberman?

This is extremely dangerous for McCain. I have been reading this Financial Times article today and it really got me thinking. McCain can still change the stakes with only 10 days to go and get Lieberman as is aide.


Gideon wrote about it and I somehow agree with him there. I think Palin may have quickly scored but Obama's calm composure, which many Democrats left with their heads scratching, came out not only a winner against the cowboy tactic to get a fake hockey mom to the table but also the credit crunch to which Obama has remained a resolved and cautious player.

On the global stage Obama has some experienced staff (One of them has helped shape Mexico's economy as well), while guess who McCain has? Ask Mark Hurd. Anyways, I think Palin may be causing a lot more damage by getting greedy and hogging a lot of attention for her own future plans. Reading all those comments from women across America and to all those subscriptions I have, I don't see any hardworking mom relating to her.

McCain stands some chance to win back some votes by firing her and getting a more experienced person on the table, Don't know if that is possible.


On the day of her nomination as McCain’s running mate, I wrote that choosing her was “bold, exciting, but also stupid” since it under-cut McCain’s argument that Obama was too inexperienced for the presidency. Then I spent the next couple of weeks worrying that I had got it badly wrong - and revealed myself as yet another liberal European pundit, out-of-tune with Middle America. She certainly gave a bravura performance at the Republican convention. And there was a definite Palin bounce in the polls.

But then it all started to go wrong. And - satisfyingly, given that Palin was being promoted as a feminist icon - it was two women who undid her. First. Katie Couric with her quietly devestating interviews on CBS; then Tina Fey, with her noisily devastating impersonations on Saturday Night Live. Sarah Palin turned into a bit of a joke - and that is usually fatal for a politician.

Worse, her selection then began to reflect back on McCain. A recent poll is suggestive. It shows that 52% of voters are less confident in McCain’s judgment because of the selection of Palin; just 38% are more confident. This latest stuff on her spending $150,000 on clothes since her nomination looks very damaging to me. It makes her sound more like Imelda Marcos than a hockey mum.


and here CNN reporting that McCain's aides are having serious trouble taming Palin.

McCain sources say Palin has gone off-message several times, and they privately wonder whether the incidents were deliberate. They cited an instance in which she labeled robocalls -- recorded messages often used to attack a candidate's opponent -- "irritating" even as the campaign defended their use. Also, they pointed to her telling reporters she disagreed with the campaign's decision to pull out of Michigan.

A second McCain source says she appears to be looking out for herself more than the McCain campaign.

"She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone," said this McCain adviser. "She does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else.

"Also, she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party. Remember: Divas trust only unto themselves, as they see themselves as the beginning and end of all wisdom."

Financial Times (Has Palin sunk McCain) and CNN (Palin going 'rogue')

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redhot Future Of IT Part I :Marketing yourself as IT professional

I had promised about the "RedHot IT Future Series" and so we discuss here how you should market yourself EFFECTIVELY as an IT professional in this new (and dangerous) web age! Web is the place where you're a hero today and villain tomorrow. While there are lots of professionals who are active on the web, not all are enjoying a good reputation as they got "personal" with others and got into a cockfight. The passive IT professional has nothing to lose but nothing to gain at all!

I know "marketing" might seem as a greasy term but the idea is to have the truth about you out there. You know you're a good person and your family knows that you're really smart person but the rest of the world doesn't!

So the question is how do I market myself on the web as a true "nouveau IT professional". A guy who companies will be tempted to pick up the phone as say "Hey, we wanna talk with you. Can you fly over to Palo Alto (or Guatemala or Johan…

Redhot Future Of IT Part 2 :Virtualized Workplaces

Click on the title to hear what I have to say, alternatively click here to listen to what I have to say here.

So what is a virtualized workplace? Does it mean it does not exist? That it's virtual? Well in a certain way YES. This is where the future of our workplace is going to be. Well it is already a reality in some countries.

OK lets start by asking ourselves these questions:
Do you really bond with your colleagues? (think Team cohesiveness)
Do you spend great amount of hours talking about great things that you will do together? (think collaboration)
Do you really feel that you give 100% at work? (think effectiveness)
What do you really miss at your desk? (think personalization)
Is your desk comfortable enough? (Again think optimizing personalization, OK you have done your best to make it your place)Does it really matter to your employer that you are there for him/her? (think commitment)
Or do you get micromanaged over petty issues? (think mismanagement)
Do you see your employees perfor…

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall
-----------------

Dress me up in my new threads
clasp my greasy palms
grease my hair
I'm ready for the fall


Watch at all the decadence
watching the avalanche
I'm slipping down
losing my buoyancy


What's become of us
where have we come
this far, this close
close to the doors


I hear them, sublimal chants
I'm on the run
I race through the human sea
I am the king!


I'm the slave
to my own undoings
I'm the jester in my courtyard
We jest as we run


We're strolling on that thin rope
we grope as we rope
we're true heros
we're the survivors


we're the scavengers
we're the friends
we're the lovers
we're the unbred


Soon awaiting the fall
we're lurking on us
we're osedaxing us
we're soon going to be done
we'll soon be arrested




*osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here