Skip to main content

Salesforce takes Haagan Dazs to the Clouds

Salesforce.com is trying to expand on its already popular web-based CRM SaaS by launching Force.com- an environment made for developers to create applications that can work in unison with its CRM software. As a forerunner for the service, the company has announced Haagen-Dazs as its first high-profile client.

Salesforce describes “Force.com” as a “platform-as-a-service,” in which developers can create applications that have nothing to do with CRM- that can all work together as a hosted platform for business users, according to InformationWeek. The customized features of the soon-to-be force.com platform were originally created for Haagen-Dazs in 2005, two years before Salesforce formally announced Force.com in the first place.

Haagen-Dazs has been a long-time customer of Salesforce, and wanted to expand on the CRM features it was already using. Since the corporate side of Haagen-Dazs is made up primarily of franchisees, the company needed a customizable CRM that let it manage real estate leads and potential franchise owner leads from its website and other sources. When the company wanted to expand beyond this, Salesforce together with Reside, a Minneapolis-based software consulting firm, further customized the service to let Haagen-Dazs track franchise store openings, remodel dates, inspection results, and track the training status of new shop owners.

This combination and further development of Salesforce’s core CRM technology on behalf of Reside, was the birth of Force.com. Salesforce has been looking for opportunities to expand its offerings while staying close to its roots of an all-inclusive CRM- offered as SaaS (Software-as-a-Service.) By rolling the CRM into other business applications, as well as throwing third-party developer creations into the mix, the idea of “Platform-as-a-service” (PaaS) might just work. It would be one of the many upcoming companies trying the new idea of “cloud computing.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...