Skip to main content

Rackspace Cloud: High Density, Virtualization-packed Data Centers in EMEA

London – September 11, 2008 – Rackspace® Hosting the world’s leader in hosting, today announces enterprise-class support of dedicated virtualised servers as part of its ongoing virtualisation initiative in EMEA. The virtualisation platform, built on VMware’s third-generation virtualisation software suite, maximises hardware investment with better utilisation of servers through virtual machines.

The virtualisation platform will enable businesses that experience high growth or fluctuations in capacity to quickly meet these demands, by making scaling easier through rapid Virtual Machine provisioning. The service also provides easy access to a stable and secure virtualised environment and is supported by Rackspace’s brand of customer service, Fanatical Support®.

Brian Thomson, MD Rackspace EMEA said: "We work closely with our customers on the type of products they need to help their business work more efficiently, and are excited to announce a virtualisation platform that will provide greater flexibility to meet performance and capacity needs. Customers who were looking to adopt virtualisation told us that security was a concern so we have developed our virtual servers to provide protection against unanticipated traffic spikes and security breaches. This enables customers to gain all the benefits of virtualisation while reducing the associated risks.”

The virtualisation platform will be based on dedicated physical hardware for each customer and include the option of hybrid virtual and physical hosted environments. It will support mission-critical production systems and provide benefits including server consolidation, data protection and on-demand provisioning.

Adrian Palmer-Geaves CEO of Knowledge Solutions, who are already using Rackspace’s virtualisation service said: “Rackspace’s virtualisation platform enables Knowledge Solutions to deliver a seamless, scalable and secure hosting solution to our customers, particularly when they experience fluctuating traffic volumes. We have worked closely with Rackspace for a number of years and the virtual platform allows us to offer solutions that are closely aligned to our customers’ business needs, in a competitive and responsive fashion”

Rackspace’s US operation launched a virtualisation offering earlier this year and has a number of virtual machines under management globally, using the virtualisation infrastructure for internal IT operations as well as in its cloud hosting division, Mosso® and email hosting division, Mailtrust™. Virtualisation is a highly-complex technology, but Rackspace’s team of VMware Certified Engineers provides customers with the technical expertise needed to design and leverage a virtualised system.

Thomson added: "Virtualisation is still an evolving technology, and we believe this is just the beginning for Rackspace. Our RackLabs research and development department continues to work with partners such as VMware, Microsoft and XenSource to make generational leaps in the virtualisation hosting arena. We expect future releases of Rackspace Virtualisation Hosting to include enhanced disaster recovery, storage and scaling capabilities."

For more information on Rackspace’s virtualisation offering, please visit: http://www.rackspace.co.uk/virtualisation

About Rackspace Hosting

As the world’s leader and specialist in hosting, Rackspace Hosting is changing the way businesses worldwide buy IT. Rackspace delivers computing-as-a-service, integrating the industry’s best technologies into a flexible service offering, making computing more reliable and affordable. A trusted partner to companies of all sizes, Rackspace enables IT departments to be more effective. Rackspace is distinguished by its award-winning Fanatical Support®, furthering the company’s mission to be one of the world’s greatest service companies. Rackspace featured in the top 30 of both the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For list, 2008, and the Financial Times Great Place to Work Awards, 2008. Rackspace's portfolio of hosted services includes managed hosting (www.rackspace.co.uk), email hosting (www.mailtrust.com) and cloud hosting (www.mosso.com). For more information on Rackspace Hosting please visit www.rackspace.co.uk or call 0800 988 0100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...