Skip to main content

Query 2.0 and Cloud Computing: special 'SQL' for unstructured data proposed

I have written about the Query 2.0 and Query 3.0 frameworks. I haven't had the time to do sketch that all out. I soon will.

Read my predictions on Query if you need to read more on that.

Google is the Query 1.0 leader. Microsoft is planning to up Google's old 1.0 plans with its $ 44 Bn acquisition of Yahoo, but I really wonder if that will help them. We have several newer players like Facebook, LinkedIn, all offering parts of the Query 2.0 architecture. You know who is already heading towards the Query 2.5 (if not already 3) Model? Yes, you guessed it right! Amazon!!!

I was getting some warmth from their data centers when I saw that they were doing simple DB query, they offer simpler and easier means of offering you data or to say in the data terms "result sets". The key is simplification, we are seeing a simplification of infrastructure and true, Virtualization is helping us get there. But it will just disappear in the Q4Q Optimization, meaning Quest for Query Optimization. Firms like xkoto are already offering alternatives to cool technologies that Oracle RAC offered, I love them but eventually they end up being too expensive and as markets shake and tumble, people start turning their heads to more cheaper and innovative solutions. This news coverage of Amazon says the same thing too. Ok so its not there yet but the solid transactional capabilities will and can be handled by players such as xkoto.
And now for the special SQL article:

The objective of the draft CMIS specification is to deliver a common REST or Web Services, an API that can be used to develop write-once, run-anywhere, next generation content and social applications.

Newton believes the SQL comparison was a good one. "The query language that will be used within the spec is actually a form of SQL, offering several options for querying the repository, including location, properties, and full-text" he said. "There's a huge amount of unstructured data out there and we should be able to query it in exactly the same way that we query databases, what's been holding us back is the lack of an SQL," he added.

Most of the leading software vendors are involved in developing the specification. Besides Alfresco, the participants are EMC, IBM, Microsoft, OpenText, Oracle, and SAP. Newton said that it there will certainly be other vendors willing to work with the specification but no other vendors were approached: "It's been pretty hard keeping it a secret for the past two years but now that it's an open spec, we can expect others to work with it," he said.

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...