Skip to main content

Web2Storage Corp. Announces General Availability of Web2Drive providing “Time Capsule” capability for Vista Users


Seattle, WA - May 20, 2008- Web2Storage Corp., a software development and marketing company focused on making network storage as simple as directly attached disk drives, today announced general availability of its Web2Drive software for storage devices, enabling Windows Vista users secure, remote, and seemingly local access to their data at home or from anywhere with Internet access.

Web2Drive software resides on a disk drive partition, where it utilizes Microsoft Vista Rally technology and advanced chip controllers to give users a one-click install of a network storage device.

A user simply purchases a Web2Drive-enabled device from a retailer, plugs it into their router or wireless router via an Ethernet cable, and with one click the device appears as a local drive letter on their computer, just as a USB device would. The user then has secure remote access to their data from anywhere in the world that has an Internet connection, without carrying the storage device with them. When combined with backup application software, Web2Drive provides an automated local backup capability rivaling the Apple “Time Capsule”, plus secure remote access.

Web2Drive is versatile and has demonstrated its operability on a number of consumer and Micro-Business-level storage devices supported by semiconductor controllers from companies such as Freescale, Intel, and Marvell. Data transfer rates of 50-80 megabytes per second (sufficient for multiple HDTV streams) have been demonstrated and can be increased depending on the chosen processor.

Web2Storage will showcase the first public demonstration of Web2Drive at the Windows Rally Summit at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA, on June 4th and 5th. The event will also mark the debut of Web2Server, which leverages the advanced features of Web 2.0 services to enable small businesses without IT resources, budgets, or expertise to perform a 1-click installation of a Data Server System and automated email, backup, and encryption applications. Like Web2Drive, Web2Server will be demonstrated on multiple storage and processor platforms.

Products utilizing the Web2Drive technology are slated to be available at your favorite retailer for the holiday buying season. Web2Drive can also be purchased from the Web2Storage website.

About Web2Storage
Web2Storage has emerged as a developer of user experience-oriented storage software products. This development is driven by a belief that traditional NAS devices need not be so complex to install and access, and that technology is available to give iSCSI and NAS devices a 1-click install for the mobile/home user and the micro-business. Its founders Scott Smyth and Ron Brown are veterans of several network attached storage companies that have developed popular NAS and iSCSI products for the SMB market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...