Skip to main content

IGEL thin clients 54% more eco-friendly than PCs across the product lifecycle

GEL thin clients 54% more eco-friendly than PCs across the product
lifecycle

Experts forecast the EU could slash global warming CO2 gas emissions by
more than 5.3m tonnes over the next five years by switching from PCs to
thin clients

Reading, UK - May 20, 2008 - New research into the environmental impact
of thin clients and PCs today revealed that IGEL Technology thin clients
were 54% more eco-friendly than PCs. And if the 8.2m business PCs
forecast to be sold in the European Union in 2008 were replaced with
thin clients, global warming CO2 emissions would be cut by 5.3m tonnes
over the next five years.

The research, undertaken by the renowned Fraunhofer Institute in
Germany, compared the environmental impact of a PC and thin clients from
IGEL technology taking into account each lifecycle phase from
production, through usage and finally recycling. The research builds
upon analysis last year that looked at the ecological costs of simply
running thin clients and PCs.

The latest study demonstrated if a desktop PC is replaced by a thin
client and terminal server, the emissions of the workstation are reduced
by more than 54% across the lifecycle of the products. With the addition
of an LCD monitor this saving is reduced to 44%.
Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...