Skip to main content

EMC planning to sell VMware?

This is something that will change the ball game forever. HP's EDS acquisition has changed the dynamics of the HW-SW-SI equation or atleast, it will definitely change the global sourcing model and possibly in their favor. Same is to happen with this (meaning rumored Intel's name on the VMware acquisition) equation, although this covers a (SW-SI)-HW* domain. So obviously this will trigger a reaction with firms like Cisco or IBM to go for Citrix and other bigger and smaller acquisitions.

Although here again I still feel the Cisco could only cover the HW-SW domain where as IBM could complete the equation with the HW-SW-SI venn unless they go for Accenture or CSC and complete the HW-SW-SI equation.

*: VMware does the SW with a slight reluctance on SI side where they still battle with the current SI and partners on "should we let you implement or we do it ourselves, cos we can always do it better than you".


EMC Corp. gained the most since October in New York trading and options to buy the stock jumped on speculation the world's largest maker of storage computers will sell all or part of its majority stake in VMware Inc.

The speculation has ``been around a little while, but is probably picking up a little bit of momentum,'' said Mike Capitani, head of equity trading at Caris & Co. in New York.

EMC climbed $1.12, or 6.7 percent, to $17.80 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. Options traders increased bets EMC will continue to rally. Call-option volume rose to 195,695 contracts, or six times the 20-day average. Those bullish bets outnumbered bearish ones, or puts, by 4.3-to-1. Implied volatility, the key measure of options prices, rose to a three- week high of 36.76.


Link from Bloomberg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...