Skip to main content

Dell's Egenera Virtualization Strategy: The "new virtualization world order" threatens HP, IBM

While HP makes like its rival Virtual Connect management software is now at the sundae stage lacking only the sprinkles and a cherry, Egenera CTO Peter Manca says HP is “still out milking the cow” and that IBM, which invented virtualization for its mainframes, is “still calving.” Manca calls HP’s approach “disjointed” and “not integrated,” requiring manual intervention to achieve any, say, SAN failover – and then only on its blade servers, not on the many rack servers it sells.HP can’t treat physical and virtual servers as if they were the same either, Egenera says; PAN can. It’s supposed to have anywhere from a two- to four-year lead on the market.

Egenera, which continues to sell and enhance its own Pan-integrated BladeFrame servers, decided to port its infrastructure virtualization magic toother people’s x86 machines late last year.



But we shouldn't forget that...

Dell’s deal is obviously not exclusive. PAN could still wind up on IBM and HP gear but both are closer rivals of Egenera on the hardware side than Dell is and both have not-invented-here sensitivities.

Dell intends to sell the widgetry on PowerEdge servers initially through its Advanced Solutions unit along with infrastructure consulting services. The widgetry is expected to wend its way to Dell’s channel.


Hot, this market! Read more here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...