Skip to main content

VKernel Named “Cool Vendor in Server Virtualization Management” by Gartner

PORTSMOUTH, N.H., March 26, 2008 – VKernel Corporation, a provider of easy-to-use and quick-to-deploy virtual appliances for managing virtual server environments, announced today that Gartner, Inc., a leading independent research firm, has named the company as a “Cool Vendor in Server Virtualization Management, 2008.” The report issued on March 17, 2007 lists VKernel as one of the “leading contenders attempting to address optimization of the virtual-server infrastructure.”

According to the Gartner report, the rapid deployment of virtual-server technology is resulting in increased demand for tools to provide more-effective planning and oversight. As organizations scale their virtual infrastructures with velocity, new solutions are needed to solve new management challenges. VKernel is changing today’s cumbersome systems management approach with tools that are optimized to save overburdened IT departments time with virtual appliances that quickly deploy, require no learning curve, and instantly solve critical issues in virtual data centers.

“It is great market validation and an honor to be named as a Gartner Cool Vendor,” said Alex Bakman, founder and CEO of VKernel. “With our expanding suite of virtual appliances, we are changing the traditional approach to systems management by addressing the new challenges that are arising with the rapid adoption of server virtualization. In particular, Gartner has recognized our cost visibility and chargeback solution in this report and endorsed the measured resource usage (MRU) model for shared server cost recovery, which VKernel uses, in a previous research report.”

The VKernel Virtual Appliance Suite for Systems Management is a set of “plug-and-play” virtual appliances designed to quickly address real world systems management challenges as organizations migrate to VMware ESX virtual environments. VKernel products enable IT groups to immediately solve today’s critical pain points by providing visibility into the capacity and resource consumption of each virtual machine. VKernel is currently offering a Chargeback Virtual Appliance for gaining cost visibility and implementing chargeback, and a Capacity Bottleneck Analyzer Virtual Appliance for identifying and eliminating capacity bottlenecks.

The Gartner “Cool Vendor in Server Virtualization Management, 2008” report was authored by Cameron Haight, Ronni Colville, and Milind Govekar. Gartner's definition of a "Cool Vendor" is a small company that offers technologies or products that are:
• Innovative — they enable users to do things they couldn't do before.
• Impactful — they have or will have business impact. It's not just "technology for the sake of technology."
• Intriguing — they have caught Gartner’s interest or curiosity in the past six months or so.

Recently, VKernel also received industry recognition from Network World when the company was named as one of seven virtual management companies to watch in 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...