Skip to main content

Citrix's XenServer 4.1 has provisioning server, VMware doesn't?

I personally haven't had the time to test the beta yet. I hope to find loads of time in order to start building out solution-sets which will embrace all sorts of vendors including VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, Oracle, Sun to name a few.



Actually, said Brian Madden, an independent analyst focused on server-based computing, Provisioning Server does not actually perform a P2V migration of an image; rather, it enables any image to be booted off a network share. "Ardence doesn't care if it's physical or virtual," he said. But converting an OS image to run within a virtual machine does have its advantages, Madden said, since it normalizes device drivers, and removes hardware incompatibilities.
Provisioning Server use cases
The most obvious use case for Provisioning Server is within a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) scenario, where its multicasting abilities allow it to simultaneously broadcast an image to multiple devices -- "up to 1,000 off a single VHD file," Crosby said. If such an estimation is true, the capability could be very useful for organizations that want to deploy VDI for large groups of end users. Further, once an OS is running, changes to its image are locally cached rather than written back to the root image, Crosby explained, helping to keep end users' desktops in a clean, consistent state, and minimizing the number of desktop images administrators need to maintain and store.


Its time to start testing and also deploy such solutions and see how we can save on the storage there. Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...