Skip to main content

Packt Publishing releases Xen Virtualization handbook

This concise handbook which hosts Fedora Core as its host operating System is ideal for professionals who want a user-friendly reference beside them while they get working with Xen and virtualization. Its easy-to-navigate content offers bite-sized walkthroughs for a wide variety of common virtualization tasks using Xen.

Each chapter is a collection of practical tasks that demonstrate how to achieve common virtualization tasks. Users then learn how it works so that they can apply this knowledge to their Xen installation and environment. This book is for Linux administrators who want to use Xen Virtualisation for development, testing, virtual hosting, or operating systems training.


What you may learn from this book? From Packt:


  • Getting started with virtualization and Xen
  • Installing Xen from pre-built packages using yum
  • Installing and compile Xen from source
  • Running guest domains under Xen:
  • Create Ubuntu guest domain using debootstrap
  • Create NetBSD domain using install image
  • Create a Centos image using Qemu
  • Create Slackware domain using domU image from jailtime
  • Managing remote Xen instances using:
  • Xen manager (xm)
  • XenMan
  • Virt-manager
  • Configuring Xen for networking
  • Connecting domains using:
  • Bridged networking—uses network bridge and hardware MAC addresses
  • Routed networking—uses Dom0 for all traffic
  • Implementing storage solutions for guest domains:
  • Using Files—file based; perfect for testing
  • Using Network File Systems (NFS)—works with remote NFS server
  • Using Logical Volume Management (LVM)—for enterprise-grade storage
  • Securing your domain by encrypting root file systems
  • Plain device mapper-based encryption
  • Key-based device mapper encryption using LUKS
  • Migrating live domains from one server to another
  • Saving and restoring a domain
  • Trends and forthcoming advances in the Xen world:
  • libvirt to simplify access to virtualization domains in a vendor/hypervisor-independent way
  • VMcasting for transferring virtual machine images from the server to the client using RSS 2.0
See Packt for more info to buy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...