Skip to main content

Wipro planning to acquire Cap Gemini by Jan 2008

There have been enough rumors since last 3 quarters. I talk to some independent advisory firms (some of them are the largest here in Europe) that watch the global markets. And a couple of weeks back, I spoke to one of the Directors on phone and he said: " This is not just going to happen, it has to happen in order to move on to the next phase of Globalization. Cap Gemini is up for a reconfiguration and retooling, and such acquisitions, even if they are disruptive, will force them to reconfigure and retool"

Here's a snippet from The Hindustan times:

Talk about Wipro’s interest in the French company has been in the air for sometime now and the buzz is becoming louder since the software giant has been seen to be making some strategic moves in that direction. Bankers have been holding hectic negotiations with Wipro’s senior management on strategies for financing the deal.

Executives from Citigroup and HSBC have been in discussions with the company's management to finalise a game-plan before the long-holidays begin after Christmas, according to sources. However, this could not be independently verified by either Citigroup or HSBC.


Globalization is happening on all fronts but it is also happening on all sides of your cube. This is the new age where we are forcing ourselves to do the re's: Rethinking, Reconfigure, Retool...to name a few.

You should look at this phenomenologically, we are in a hyper-disruptive phase. Globalization is flowing in all directions. Protectionism is holding us back, the moment you take that "predator-prey" stance, you are the game of the usurper vs usurped. This not how I personally envision it.

Globalization is like a work out. When your biceps cannot flex/grow beyond that 16.5 inches (meaning when you get stuck in that Globalization 3.0 or Globalization 3.7 phase and just not being able to make it to the G4.0 level), you need to flex your biceps laterally (inorganic acquisitions, as the Wipro CSO says himself). I am not kidding about this.

My friend's uncle became overall winner in the NABBA 2004. He is way past his 40s and he advised that you need to flex your muscles "in all directions" if you really want to grow. I've been doing it unintentionally for about 20 years now but listening to him really helped.

So if you want to move on from G3.0 to G4.0, you have to flex your muscles in all directions, or else your growth with stall.

BTW, here's the link to The Hindustan Times

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...