Skip to main content

When Virtualizing, take everything into account!

Why else do you think that it may seem to be such a scary scenario to many wanting to put virtualization in their production. We all know how it goes; test and development environments are all taken rather "less seriously". Companies romance with it, IT staff has something tp play around with and production can wait till the real standard has been established.

While this might take longer time than the virtualization vendors may want, this is the reality. We are expecting the server virtualization sales to grow from $ 800 M to atleast $ 7 Bn. But I want ot ask some serious questions in the virtualization conference , where I will be speaking at the strategy session to CxOs and IT managers, sure IT admins should also sit in the hall. I would want to ask simple things like:

  • VM backup: You've virtualized, did you cover up the backup scenario?
  • Security: How did you do it?
  • Apps: Have you really tested/becnhmarked your apps on the Virtual platforms?
  • You are in the test and development, how seriously do you work there? Think ITIL, CMDB, ITSM, SLA, etc
  • Internalization + Externalization: How are you managing the change transition?
  • Is there a change of minds and hearts, both inside and outside the "perimeter"?*
  • When are you really going in production? A deadline
* This is a crucial question and you can expect a long discussion within an IT organization.

Anyways, the link talks about the I/O issue with the VMs, where one VM can mean death to others.

CW's Jeroen says:

The problem is that VM workloads can become abnormal. Spikes in read or write I/O on one VM may immediately adversely affect the I/O performance of other VMs hosted by that physical server. Equally problematic are backups, especially full server backups. Backing up a single VM can quickly congest network pipes and degrade the performance of other VMs on that server.

There are two new ways that companies can use to address this issue. One is to use intelligent Ethernet network interface cards (NIC) and Fibre Channel host bus adapters (HBA) that create virtual NICs and virtual HBAs. These cards assign specific virtual NICs and virtual HBAs to each VM, which then logs into Ethernet or Fibre Channel networks using these unique IDs. Administrators may then set policies that limit that VM's bandwidth consumption based on these VM identifiers.

Check out CW (I did get an impression that InfiniBand was being promoted as the solution, but hey, if they have something to offer that resolves the issue, why not!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redhot Future Of IT Part I :Marketing yourself as IT professional

I had promised about the "RedHot IT Future Series" and so we discuss here how you should market yourself EFFECTIVELY as an IT professional in this new (and dangerous) web age! Web is the place where you're a hero today and villain tomorrow. While there are lots of professionals who are active on the web, not all are enjoying a good reputation as they got "personal" with others and got into a cockfight. The passive IT professional has nothing to lose but nothing to gain at all!

I know "marketing" might seem as a greasy term but the idea is to have the truth about you out there. You know you're a good person and your family knows that you're really smart person but the rest of the world doesn't!

So the question is how do I market myself on the web as a true "nouveau IT professional". A guy who companies will be tempted to pick up the phone as say "Hey, we wanna talk with you. Can you fly over to Palo Alto (or Guatemala or Johan…

Redhot Future Of IT Part 2 :Virtualized Workplaces

Click on the title to hear what I have to say, alternatively click here to listen to what I have to say here.

So what is a virtualized workplace? Does it mean it does not exist? That it's virtual? Well in a certain way YES. This is where the future of our workplace is going to be. Well it is already a reality in some countries.

OK lets start by asking ourselves these questions:
Do you really bond with your colleagues? (think Team cohesiveness)
Do you spend great amount of hours talking about great things that you will do together? (think collaboration)
Do you really feel that you give 100% at work? (think effectiveness)
What do you really miss at your desk? (think personalization)
Is your desk comfortable enough? (Again think optimizing personalization, OK you have done your best to make it your place)Does it really matter to your employer that you are there for him/her? (think commitment)
Or do you get micromanaged over petty issues? (think mismanagement)
Do you see your employees perfor…

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall
-----------------

Dress me up in my new threads
clasp my greasy palms
grease my hair
I'm ready for the fall


Watch at all the decadence
watching the avalanche
I'm slipping down
losing my buoyancy


What's become of us
where have we come
this far, this close
close to the doors


I hear them, sublimal chants
I'm on the run
I race through the human sea
I am the king!


I'm the slave
to my own undoings
I'm the jester in my courtyard
We jest as we run


We're strolling on that thin rope
we grope as we rope
we're true heros
we're the survivors


we're the scavengers
we're the friends
we're the lovers
we're the unbred


Soon awaiting the fall
we're lurking on us
we're osedaxing us
we're soon going to be done
we'll soon be arrested




*osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here