Skip to main content

Virtualization: Hypervisor portability is key to sustainability!

This is what this news item has to say. Companies are custom-coding too much in the hope of making a quick exit from VMware's VI to another cheaper infrastructure that provides the functionalities of HotMigration and Resource scheduling capabilities. Quoting

As such, Mosso isn't devoting too many resources into developing its environment around VMware. Instead, it will use "the basics like VMotion and DRS" and try not to custom-code too much of the environment. "We've tried not to tie our system too directly to VMware, because we might potentially switch it out for Xen," Bryce said. The company recently finished evaluating Citrix XenServer and will soon evaluate Oracle VM, Bryce said.

With Xen-based virtualization platforms, Bryce said, the philosophy is to provide "the engine and the access, on which you are free to do whatever you want."

The company is also "talking to VMware to help us develop more advanced features, although I don't know how much success we'll have," Bryce said. "VMware is building the tools that 80% of business needs; the problem is, we do things in the remaining 20% that not many people need."

Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redhot Future Of IT Part I :Marketing yourself as IT professional

I had promised about the "RedHot IT Future Series" and so we discuss here how you should market yourself EFFECTIVELY as an IT professional in this new (and dangerous) web age! Web is the place where you're a hero today and villain tomorrow. While there are lots of professionals who are active on the web, not all are enjoying a good reputation as they got "personal" with others and got into a cockfight. The passive IT professional has nothing to lose but nothing to gain at all!

I know "marketing" might seem as a greasy term but the idea is to have the truth about you out there. You know you're a good person and your family knows that you're really smart person but the rest of the world doesn't!

So the question is how do I market myself on the web as a true "nouveau IT professional". A guy who companies will be tempted to pick up the phone as say "Hey, we wanna talk with you. Can you fly over to Palo Alto (or Guatemala or Johan…

Redhot Future Of IT Part 2 :Virtualized Workplaces

Click on the title to hear what I have to say, alternatively click here to listen to what I have to say here.

So what is a virtualized workplace? Does it mean it does not exist? That it's virtual? Well in a certain way YES. This is where the future of our workplace is going to be. Well it is already a reality in some countries.

OK lets start by asking ourselves these questions:
Do you really bond with your colleagues? (think Team cohesiveness)
Do you spend great amount of hours talking about great things that you will do together? (think collaboration)
Do you really feel that you give 100% at work? (think effectiveness)
What do you really miss at your desk? (think personalization)
Is your desk comfortable enough? (Again think optimizing personalization, OK you have done your best to make it your place)Does it really matter to your employer that you are there for him/her? (think commitment)
Or do you get micromanaged over petty issues? (think mismanagement)
Do you see your employees perfor…

Avastu Blog is migrating to IdeationCloud.com; 1st Jan 2009 live

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. WITHIN 2 SECONDS YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO THE NEW HOME OF AVASTU BLOG. PLEASE DO UPDATE AVASTU BLOG'S URL to : http://www.ideationcloud.com on your website.

I will send out emails personally to those who are using my link(s) on their sites.

Thanks much for your co-operation and hope you enjoy the new site and its cool new features :-)




Not like the site is unlive or something..on the contrary, its beginning to get a lot of attention already. Well most of the work is done, you don't have to worry about anything though:

What won't change

Links/Referrals: I will be redirecting the links (all links which you may have cross-posted) to IdeationCloud.com - so you don't have to do anything in all your posts and links. Although, I would urge however that you do change the permalinks, especially on your blogs etc yourselfThis blog is not going away anywhere but within a few months, I will consider discontinuing its usage. I won't obviously do …