Skip to main content

Strategy: Why did VMware release its Microsoft 2005 benchmark?

This is my first post on ITtoolbox and an excerpt is here:

We all noticed how Oracle and Sun, in the shadows of Oracle's OOW event, announced their virtualization platforms. Both of these are based on Xen. Oracle came with its own story of how their VM's were 3 times faster than any other virtualization vendor. They also claimed that "the vendors who claim to have the only live migration on the planet" should stop claiming that as it too is becoming a commodity.

So why did VMware start talking about Microsoft suddenly? Simple, because Microsoft is readying its "bare metal" hypervisor and is planning a major strike on claiming back its "children" (read guest OSs) to run back to their "biological mom" (read MS hypervisor). Microsoft's base is massive and VMware is building its fortunes on its OS stack, Application stack (SQL Server, Exchange). Other bigger, mother-of-all apps like Sharepoint, that Steve Ballmer touted as the "next webOS" , too will be adopted by many. Especially there is a lot of talk going on in Educational circles to dump Blackboard kind of proprietary LMS programs and adopt Sharepoint as the shiny new system to collaborate. People are beginning to like it and we too are going full blast with the product.


Check out the rest on my newly launched blog on ITtoolbox!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...