Skip to main content

Is Oracle on a good start with Virtualization?

This one things thinks (just hate those typos when the mind is running faster than those clumsy fingers..where is my AI Assistant, right now good friend Kris is burdened with the spell-check thing!) yes in the long run.

It's still early days for Oracle VM, however, with demand for virtualizing enterprise applications just ramping up, Wolf said. And on the management front at least, there are several efforts afoot to create parity between Xen-based platforms and ESX. Wolf cites standards efforts from the Distributed Management Task Force Inc., such as the Open Virtual Machine Format and its Common Information Model, or CIM, management profiles for virtualization.

"In a couple of years, running multiple different virtualization platforms might not be that big of a deal," Wolf said.

Despite VMware ESX's huge lead, "Oracle is off to a very good start," and a lot of Oracle shops will probably bite on Oracle VM, Wolf said. "Oracle has a lot of clout. If the product is good and less than VMware in cost, then a lot of organizations are going to take a good, hard look at it."


Link Here


Here Larry Ellison, the CEO comments that Live Migration a commodity now.

"Our new announcement is doing something that Red Hat is not doing, shipping Oracle VM underneath Linux. ... We have live migration. You can migrate the virtual machine while it's running from machine A to B," he said.

In a jab at VMware's VMotion migration tool, he added: "Some companies say, 'We're the only ones who can do that.' Not any more."

Technical support for Oracle VM is priced at $999 a year for a four-way server. "That's a better price than you can get from VMware," he said.

Ellison also said Oracle VM was Xen re-engineered by Oracle to be "dramatically faster than our competition. It runs a lot faster."

VMware responded with a blog on its site that listed ten reasons why Oracle runs best under VMware's ESX hypervisor. ESX can support near native performance of Oracle in a virtual machine and drive over 63,000 database I/Os per second, about 50 times the requirement of a typical database, the blog said.

Steve Lanchak, head of BearingPoint's Oracle consulting practice, said there may be debates over the fine points of Oracle's announcements but its movement in Fusion middleware and Fusion applications was in step with "simplifying the movement toward an SOA environment."

Enterprises looking to reorganize their software infrastructure around services were being given lots of choices through "the sheer number of SOA-enabled end points in the new applications," added Rob Youngblood, a lead consultant with BearingPoint's Oracle Solutions Practice Group.

In other words, there are lots of ways to connect application function to application function, or business processes to data under the Fusion approach, he said.


IW covered that issue.

And this article disagrees that Oracle's virtualization bid can make any difference:

Oracle Corp. is making a lot of noise this week about its introduction of the Oracle VM Xen-based hypervisor. But analysts and channel partners -- many of whom sell or use open source virtualization software -- still think Oracle's virtualization effort is too weak to make much of a difference to them.

"I don't care what Oracle comes out with and I don't care what Microsoft comes out with -- VMware owns the market and they are two to three years ahead compared to their competitors, who all have to catch up," said Sandy Cohn, general manager and director of technical services at the Albany, N.Y.-based ATEC Group. "I can't change what we've started with our customers; VMware has a proven product and I can't shift now to another virtualization vendor," Cohn added.


TechTarget link here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here