The server performance problem and the widening I/O gap
CPU advances have followed Moore’s law for many years – now roughly doubling in speed every 18 months. Memory technologies have gained ground almost as quickly. In sharp contrast, hard drives have taken over 10 years to double in speed. This widening gap in performance makes the rotational and seek time latency of hard drives the biggest performance bottleneck in modern computers.
What is UpTempo?
- Advanced disk block cache, a sophisticated "virtual" I/O controller that sits below the file system
- An I/O scheduler
- A combination of very advanced mechanisms for increasing the performance of local I/O
- A set of predictive self learning and workload aware algorithms
- A general schema for reducing exception overhead for disk I/O
- Software that sits 'below' the Windows file system and improves its performance
- Simple-to-use and automated software, requiring no application knowledge from the user
How much does UpTempo help?
Mileage may vary! But, speed ups by a factor of 3 to 4x I/O performance (and sometimes 10x or more) are not uncommon. It depends on how much applications are constrained by I/O bottlenecks. Check out the results from a number of benchmarks (www.datacore.com/products/prod_UpTempo_benchmarks.asp). Seeing is believing – take a free test drive! Click here to download: www.datacore.com/download.asp.
Check it out.