Skip to main content

Save the planet: Turn off the lights, automate your data centers!

I was sitting and watching the TV and saw this ad from "Act on CO2". This thing moved me off my feet, it always does actually (that also show how soon we all can forget and how badly we need these reminders). Just think about it, forget about Virtualization (for a while), with me:

  • Who are we?
  • Why are we here on this planet?
  • What are we giving back to our "Mother Earth"?
  • What can we do to help us stay on this rock a bit longer?
  • Why don't we all shutdown our PCs when we go home?
  • Why don't we shut down our lights we we go out?
  • Do we turn our heating on full blast or keep in on "eco-drive"?
  • Who are we?
  • Why are we here on this planet?
  • DO WE DESERVE TO BE HERE???
The way we have been acting the last 200 years..umm, I'd fire the whole staff if I was the "Earth CEO"! While these questions will raise a lot of questions in your heads, I just want to take this opportunity to display how badly we have have altered our biosphere.

Nuff said. Watch these movies and also go to GreenerLiving. In fact these videos have been borrowed from them:





Low bandwidth version (For my readers in India, Africa, China, South America and more)




With this post, I am shutting my computer down, turning off the plug and I am off for a good long walk. Do also watch my "Green Grid Template" if you are a CEO in need to help the earth become a better place to live and work in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Splunk that!

Saw this advert on Slashdot and went on to look for it and found the tour pretty neat to look at. Check out the demo too! So why would I need it? WHY NOT? I'd say. As an organization grows , new services, new data comes by, new logs start accumulating on the servers and it becomes increasingly difficult to look at all those logs, leave alone that you'd have time to read them and who cares about analysis as the time to look for those log files already makes your day, isn't it? Well a solution like this is a cool option to have your sysadmins/operators look at ONE PLACE and thus you don't have your administrators lurking around in your physical servers and *accidentally* messing up things there. Go ahead and give it a shot by downloading it and testing it. I'll give it a shot myself! Ok so I went ahead and installed it. Do this... [root@tarrydev Software]# ./splunk-Server-1.0.1-linux-installer.bin to install and this (if you screw up) [root@tarrydev Software]# /op

Virtualization is hot and sexy!

If this does not convince you to virtualize, believe me, nothing will :-) As you will hear these gorgeous women mention VMware, Akkori, Pano Logic, Microsoft and VKernel. They forgot to mention rackspace ;-) virtualization girl video I'm convinced, aren't you? Check out their site as well!