Skip to main content

Is VMware BEA's "white knight"?

Let me tell you why, before I point you to the original post of such speculation.

Enterprise virtualization is almost done, that having said..hang on, lets do it even better and make a "Year of" game:

  • 2007-2008: Year of Integration : Here you will experience massive deployments of virtual infrastructure. Obviously you have to be nuts to think that virtualization is going to last forever, it won't even last the next two years. Why? simply because VMware is hell-bent on that next level strategy. Here it will use the "curve-ball strategic maneuver" to take the market into...well, the next level!
  • 2008-2010: Year(s) of Enterprise Applications: Here the application stacks will be totally revamped, redone and deployable with concepts such as "Virtual Appliances". VA will reach the inflection point by then. That is why it makes sense for VMware to go for Apps now!
  • 2008-2009: Year of Monitoring: Or call it management, no matter what you as the IT director, IT maanger or even the "powerful" IT guy say or think, your CEO is coming right at you. The research of Symantec on DRP and Testing just proves the point. Just to give you a simple example, my CEO knew more about the virtualization deployment in the local region than some of the folks you might think should know and monitor the market closely. I was myself very much and pleasantly surprised, when we were in Africa, and he confronted me with the questions and observations. So the CxOs are taking a lot more interest in the IT operations than you can imagine. And rightly so, the business (whether you are a huge university, big bank, service provider, energy firm, telco, you name it) needs to drive IT and not the other way round! CxOs have realized that!
  • 2009 - 2011: Year of Intelligence: Business layers will be able to see through the monitoring layer, gauge and even replay the the ramifications of the decision making right from the boardrooms: "What if I take off this unit and place it for half a year in Poland", CxOs will have a clear cut intelligent platforms to see how the application stack will be affected and the underlying infrastructure layer will react to this, replayable and optimizable, decision making. This is something very crucial for CxOs, who are left alone in their rooms to make massive decisions with no one on their side. This is the age when the business will truly drive the IT. That is why we are today, some of us even not understanding why we have that tag line "Business Technology", moving towards business objectives; that is why we are in dire need of true versatilist who will guide and guard the business and help the management with the magic ball, even be part of the management; that is why CIOs are not being considered by many boards.
Ok enough said, but mark my words, the disruptive mergers and moves will go into a hyperdrive in the coming 2 years and this will lead to, as I have mentioned several times, aided by accelerated consolidations and sourcings, to a agile and business driven global delivery framework.

Now you can read the article:

Quoting VNunet:

There has been speculation about a “white knight” third-party trumping the Oracle bid. Labourey believes that while there are obvious names to be considered, an actual proposition is not likely to be forthcoming.

“I’m not sure who it would be [but] if HP strikes, it would be a very strong signal [that it has serious intent in enterprise software],” he said, adding that IBM, CA, Sun and VMware are other possibilities. “VMware is the company to observe. I think they have done great and they have huge power.”



And the rest of the article here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here