Skip to main content

Intel Virtualization Kit: More future predictions by IDG

Actually when I do a post of a prediction, which soometimes can avarage at least one per day (blogging is a very small part of it), I can get a bit weary of "other" predictions. But anyways here we go:

IDG says:

Virtualization will become pervasive and integral to server and operating
system design. In four to five years, we expect that virtualization will be as...


Me:Me: 2 years max! How? rapid development, hyperacquisitions will accelerate the pace.

There will continue to be revenue associated with virtualization layers.


Me: But there wil also be open source disruptors (backed by Sun and IBM, for instance) who will offer you the virtualization as a free commodity with "cheaper optios". So my take is: Revenue will start to decline by 2009 as more intelligent technologies and trends like "Fabric" will lead to more consolidation and packing. And don;t forget, the "Use and throw" business sentiment, that will catalyze the business agility, meaning: picking up a fully patched appliance, Linux, and then throwing it in a fee months as you move on to new line of business, will not really care about this revenue model. Obviously somewhere the cash has to be earned, so MS and others may better move into by acquiring a hardware vendor or two!

Virtualization will change the way offline systems are managed.

Me: Agreed, it is indeed cool.

Operating system mobility enables servers outside traditional IT
boundaries can be leveraged when needed.


Me: Yep. "Traditional IT" = dead, "Business Agile Data Center" to lead the change. But this is why the business leaders are, a bit late in my opinion, taking notice of virtualization.

Traditional IT vendors need to move into this hosting business.


VMware and Google are already teaming up for this scenario ;)

Thanks to virtualization, mobile employees will be able to leave behind
their hardware and take only software with them.


I've done it since 2001, can you imagine! OK no usb, but my thin laptop back then.

The rest of the predictions and all that can be downloaded here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...