Skip to main content

Future of IT: Understanding IT virtualization market

OK, this I have to read properly since I do have the "Research Doc" the Butler Group guys wrote:

The IT virtualization market is gaining significant momentum, and so I think it's a safe prediction to say that it will accelerate even faster over the coming years. Indeed, Butler Group believes that there will come a point when virtualised server infrastructure, in particular, becomes the de facto way of deploying new IT infrastructure.

Any booming market is bound to attract the attentions of established vendors, and the IT virtualization market is no different. However, with such a grand prize to be had - i.e. underpinning every other IT system in the enterprise - the battle for virtual supremacy is likely to pitch newcomers against established industry vendors.


I think important things to note are:
  • Market to be in hyperdrive till 2010: The market is going to get exceedingly volatile, Richard mentions if Microsoft will be the de facto vendor. Looking at how things are moving, I just don't know what can happen. Maybe VMware will eventually go under the MS umbrella, after its done with the Storage. In the coming years storage, networking and cpu virtualization will become pretty much standardized and commoditized, and then the game will shift to making the applications as intelligent as possible. So you guessed it right, if you are a traditional IT dude or a manager, your game will be up within the next 3 years or so!
  • Enterprise Class Application Virtualization: There are enough solutions today to do application virtualization, but the REAL money is in the "Enterprise Applications" and Business Intelligence! Look at what Oracle, SAP, IBM and Microsoft are heading for. VMware will soon have to rest its bets on the HPC (High Performance Computing) and Enterprise Apps. Applications that do not scale on x86 servers will be targeted soon.
  • Mega mergers are yet to come: Oracle, may have been given the green light to go for BEA, after what Icahn pulled out, but the real mergers are yet to come. I am expecting HP to make a move very soon, coming weeks actually, and soon the others will follow. I still think that VMware may have lost good opportunity with BEA, but never mind other opportunities will come.
  • Versatilists to be in high demand: I am at a total loss today, to help people understand what I am all capable of. I am confronted with typical line managers who just are not allowed to look outside the box. OK , I am nto making any tall claims but I am an enterpreneur, I have founded my own firm (which is on its way of getting a pretty neat Virtual Data Center contract btw, but that I'll annouce when we've signed the contract! ), I am a trainer, I have business sense, I am a self starter, ..and oh yeah, I am also a database guy, and sure I am deep into virtualization..and.. So you see today's "traditional IT mentality" is incapable of comprehending the real value of such professionals. Tomorrow, you will be asking yourselves: "Where can I find these business professionals?". I think this will be a hot topic across MTs and board rooms very soon, if it isn't today. Some firms, however, are taking keen interests in such people, and they are mostly Management Consultancy firms.
  • Wake-up call for both newcomers and old-timers: The example of Quest is not the only one, there are many big and small time firms who are currently in a "state-of-flux" and the sooner they get out of it and make that move, the better. Timing is everything, this time!
  • Citrix should use the second mover advantage: Citrix must push the XenSource developers to develop a competitive product that can challenge VMware. That way they can earn the cash till MS is ready with its Viridian and would be a year ahead of MS. This is a highly competitive market and Citrix as has to get its dough out of XenSource. If they are not up and running by next June, then it will be increasingly difficult to move in. Virtual Iron, with its new CEO is already workin on a new and better strategy to get more visible in the market.
  • Sun and open sauce Virtualization: I think very soon Sun will be bringing in the most reliable and sustainable open source virtualization solution to the market.
I didn't want to take this thing off-tangents or steal Richard's thunder, being long enough in this industry, its just (become) a habit to say something once in a while ;-)

Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...