Skip to main content

Cashman Photo dances to the tunes of SANmelody



The "day-in-the-life" scenario at Cashman prior to DataCore was one in which those in charge of IT infrastructure saw that things were growing too large for the data pool and knew that there was a need to re-allocate some storage that was going unused on any given machine to other machines. The tipping point for the SANmelody selection came after the company had investigated using a VMware ESX server environment. "While researching how to go with ESX, we started looking at storage area networks (SANs)," said Amira. "When doing so, we realized that all the storage area network products we were exposed to were products you had to buy from scratch -- at a cost of, on average, $40,000 for 10 terabytes." With one-hundred terabytes of direct attached storage that he was not looking to replace (just better utilize), Amira and his team wanted to go with something that supported VMware and a VMotion environment. It was then that they started looking into iSCSI storage solutions and software iSCSI targets.

"We started our search the good old-fashioned way, through Google," said Amira. "After doing research, I came across a number of trusted reviews, written by individuals I know, which convinced me that DataCore was far more prolific than I had previously been aware," added Amira. According to Amira, a summary of key reasons for purchasing SANmelody includes -- better utilization of the 100 terabytes of storage that Cashman Photo Enterprises already maintains, a significantly better price/performance compared with any other SAN solution and the fact that the solution is well proven in the marketplace to work with VMware ESX environments.


Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...