Skip to main content

What is Citrix secretly planning?

DarkReading thinks its security, methinks its still figuring out whether to go full ahead with its expansion plans OR do another acquisition and position itself as "acquirable", again!


Citrix isn't ready to divulge its plans for XenSource, but it's still fun to conjure up a few of the possibilities that could change traditional approaches to enterprise security:

  • Virtual data centers could be used to protect the data. Citrix can lessen its dependency on VMware with a XenSource-based virtual data center. Organizations can keep the data in the data center, where it belongs, allowing the customer to dynamically choose among accelerated SSL, virtualized presentation services, or streaming applications. This approach could clear the way for customers to place more applications, and sensitive data, in secure data centers.
  • Endpoint security won't matter. Using Intel hardware capabilities for isolation, businesses could shield sensitive data and user information from malware, while cleaning up residual data upon VM application termination. A business application does not have to care about the endpoint security profile if the application delivery system uses XenSource to isolate itself from the rest of the desktop.
  • Application delivery could drive security. If sensitive data is protected in the data center and at the endpoint, then businesses will focus on application delivery systems for the proper blend of performance and end-user capability. The ability to dynamically coordinate protocols and distribute processing between the centralized data center and the endpoint can become a real business enabler.
  • NAC could finally find its niche. Trying to manage endpoint profiles of unmanaged devices in a connected world is a fool’s errand. Application delivery systems need only to check at connect time for the appropriate XenSource application agent VM, and then dynamically choose the application delivery method for optimal performance. If this approach can reduce the risk of unmanaged devices, then handling managed devices becomes easy.


Check it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...