Skip to main content

VMware revenue model shift may put Microsoft back into the game

I am still betting on that "Curve Ball Strategy" where VMware is really getting pretty good at. I am wondering what is keeping Clayton from using VMware to talk about the innovation and continuous disruptive strategies to steer and confuse the competition.

Look at it this way, Microsoft felt like it had to make a hypervisor because it was so hot. Everyone talked about it and everyone wanted to hear about it, then suddenly we're talking some weird 3i stuff, so where does that leave Microsoft? Should it make a "super thin viridian"? And then that revenue model story, Microsoft has to take a reactive detour again, first grope in the dark and then come out with some service-less talk at VMworld in 2008?


I think what we are are forgetting is that VMware is still offering virtualization and will continue to offer it s the market is barely capitalized, with the VaaS (Virtualization as a Service) strategy, it is merely trying to resolve all the issues that the customers are having with the multi-vendor issue on application stack.

For example, Microsoft's Exchange, SQL and other servers sometimes have issues when running in a VMware environment, and customers have to deal with two different vendors to resolve their problems. With Microsoft servers running on a Microsoft virtualization platform, those compatibility issues become less common, Morimoto said.
Sorry but I don't buy it at all. Problems remain problems, virtualization or not and they are resolved by fixing the application. I keep saying, applications will remain applications. They may scale up to 64 bit, they may become "multi-core aware", but they will still have issues, the fact that virtualization complicates them is merely the "Using virtualization, sorry can't help you" attitude. That hurts the client, that hurts the business (of the vendors) and eventually we all end up quarreling with each other, put a bit of FUD in it and you can scare the life out of some IT manager. but does the problem go away?

"Obviously, VMware has a head start in the marketplace, but Microsoft and others are catching up," said Vince Conroy, chief technology officer for FusionStorm, a San Francisco-based systems integrator (SI) and managed service provider that works with both VMware and Microsoft.

VMware's free VMware Server is a Type II hypervisor; its ESX Server is a Type I hypervisor, designed to run on the bare metal of the server supporting both the OS and the hypervisor.

Microsoft's current server virtualization offering, Virtual Server 2005, is "not as good as VMware," said Rand Morimoto, president of Convergent Computing, a Microsoft partner in Oakland, Calif. that also sells VMware. "But with Viridian, [Microsoft] leaps so far forward, ahead of where VMware is."


And what if VMware server decides to start giving away ESX server for free? so we still have to wait for the real outcome. I am pretty sure that Viridian will have something to offer, but we'll be on totally different turf, not necessarily the one which most folks think that Microsoft is good at.

Link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...