Skip to main content

Storage Virtualization: Multi-part series at IBM

Barry Whyte, has been writing a decent looking series on storage virtualziation:

The whole concept of virtualizing your storage network is a disruptive one. It doesn't matter which approach
you choose, it radically changes not only the way your storage administrator thinks about his job, but also the very fundamentals of how and where things are done. Once you have an abstraction device sitting in the middle of the SAN between your hosts and your storage, or even your storage and storage, the rules have changed.

I'm sure most readers are aware of the three main approaches in use today, for more detailed explanations, google is great. However while all these approaches provide in essence the same basic 'Cornerstones of Virtualization' there are some interesting side affects with some or all approaches.


  • Network Based - Appliance

    The device is a SAN appliance that sits in the data-path and all I/O flows through the device. The device is both target and initiator. It is the target of I/O requests from the host perspective and the initiator of I/O requests
    from the storage perspective. The redirection is performed by issuing new I/O requests to the storage.

  • Switch Based - Split-path

    The device is usually an intelligent switch that intercepts I/O requests on the fabric and redirects the frames to the correct stroage location. The actual I/O requests are themselves redirected.

  • Controller Based

    The device is a storage controller that provides an internal switch for external storage attachment. Here the storage controller intercepts and redirects I/O requests to the external storage as it would for internal storage. (I'm not sure if USP actually re-generates new I/O requests or simply forwards to original I/O - maybe someone can enlighten me)



Check out part1, part2, part3 and part4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Splunk that!

Saw this advert on Slashdot and went on to look for it and found the tour pretty neat to look at. Check out the demo too! So why would I need it? WHY NOT? I'd say. As an organization grows , new services, new data comes by, new logs start accumulating on the servers and it becomes increasingly difficult to look at all those logs, leave alone that you'd have time to read them and who cares about analysis as the time to look for those log files already makes your day, isn't it? Well a solution like this is a cool option to have your sysadmins/operators look at ONE PLACE and thus you don't have your administrators lurking around in your physical servers and *accidentally* messing up things there. Go ahead and give it a shot by downloading it and testing it. I'll give it a shot myself! Ok so I went ahead and installed it. Do this... [root@tarrydev Software]# ./splunk-Server-1.0.1-linux-installer.bin to install and this (if you screw up) [root@tarrydev Software]# /op

Virtualization is hot and sexy!

If this does not convince you to virtualize, believe me, nothing will :-) As you will hear these gorgeous women mention VMware, Akkori, Pano Logic, Microsoft and VKernel. They forgot to mention rackspace ;-) virtualization girl video I'm convinced, aren't you? Check out their site as well!