Skip to main content

Security is everybody's baby; Virtualization can be confusing for admin roles

I think that is what virtualization is making us come to understand. It is bringing all those lonely admins on their lonely islands, together. It is definitely a big challenge for the management as the battle to manage you "own" environment is getting fiercer, al l admins ought to realize one thing:

"Stop making an ass of yourselves and start working together, your resume will be pumped up real good. Resisting is worthless!"

This was the Epiphany that Chris had, and he says it much better than I can:

This is when it occurred to me, that given the general roles and constituent responsibilities of the attendees, most of whom are not dedicated network or security folks, the disconnect between the "Leviathan Force" (the network and network security admins) and the "Sysadmins" (the server/VMM administrators) was little more than the mashup of a classic turf battle and differing security mindsets combined with a lack of network and information security-focused educational campaigning on the part of VMware.

The basic message is that system admins are not security professionals. They have a certain mentality, and that is the way they think. They are there to keep the systems running smoothly. The security people are there to tell them what steps to take to secure their systems, but security is more of a headache than a help most of the time. But you know what? Those system admins should be security professionals as well. That should be a bona fide part of their resume.


Read the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...