Skip to main content

Realizing SOA with service virtualization?

Gosh, since virtualization is a hot buzz word, we'll use it everywhere.

Service Virtualization as a Solution

At its most basic form, virtualization is an abstraction layer that decouples a resource consumer from the provider of those resources. Virtualized resources allow a single provider to support multiple consumers to achieve higher agility and reuse of those resources. In the virtual machine scenario, the physical hardware is abstracted from the operating system creating unique opportunities for design optimization.

Capable of supporting multiple running instances of different operating systems on the same machine, virtual machines deliver unparalleled utilization of extra processing cycles in the data center and developer workstations. Service virtualization realizes many of the professed SOA advantages by abstracting the true service address, binding, and contract necessary to invoke business functionality at a given endpoint. An abstraction layer is also a potential platform for additional behaviors.

Address virtualization abstracts the URI where the endpoint actually sits from service consumers and allows messages to be delivered per metadata to different endpoints. Coupled with content-based routing behavior, for example, address virtualization could be used to manage a service level agreement (SLA). For instance, a Web farm can be dedicated to silver customers and another more powerful and robust Web farm can be made available for gold customers. Consumers would appear to invoke the same endpoint, but in reality messages would be routed to the appropriate endpoint, thus ensuring an appropriate level of service that corresponds to the importance of the customer.

Binding virtualization abstracts the actual communication protocols supported by the endpoint to more easily allow providers to adopt newer Web service development stacks while still supporting existing service consumers. Contract virtualization abstracts WSDL and XSD definitions so services can be discovered. For example, a service may be dynamically comprised of operations from disparate services to form a single service that may serve as a better representation of a task or entity service. Such seemingly straightforward capabilities are extremely powerful and organizations may be willing to undergo major infrastructure upgrades to better support a virtualized service inventory.

Many vendors profess service virtualization as a capability of their intermediary, agents, or bus. Usually they limit the concept to contract virtualization and attribute address virtualization and binding virtualization as a feature of their product. It is important to understand that the concept exists independently from any specific implementation architecture. Certain architecture designs are supported by a stronger implementation and serve as a base for security, monitoring, and caching of value-added services. Service virtualization implemented over the service intermediary pattern ideally achieves these goals in a non-invasive manner and can be easily applied to existing production deployments. Moreover, the centralized nature of service intermediaries makes them an excellent platform for service repository and service registry capabilities.

To gain a real world perspective of this approach, let’s explore the case study example.


Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...