Skip to main content

Computer Express Mumbai: VDI to fuel thin client sales in India!

The VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution is a result of the collaboration between vendors and VMware to make the Thin Client OS aware of key VMware VDI technologies. The end result, Thin OS-VDI Edition, is designed to enhance the user experience and functionality. Arun Rao, Business Manager – Client Virtualization, Personal Systems Group, Hewlett-Packard India says, “Delivering all the qualities associated with VMware VDI in a single ‘push the power button to work’ device, the solution incorporates the new Thin OS-VDI edition software and is delivered on the thin client appliance.”

According to a NEC official the major driving factors VDI in thin clients are security, manageability, reliability, availability and, last but not the least, a reduction in overall TCO. With NEC Sigma System Centre (SSC) featuring system provisioning and deployment manager, it is easy to manage the IT infrastructure more efficiently. Enterprise Desktop Virtualization allows organization to deploy small, secure thin clients on the user’s desktop and then link them to their own virtual desktop machines residing on centrally managed servers. This provides an organization with the opportunity to utilize a totally stateless desktop device as the user access platform. These thin clients are simple in nature with no moving parts and, more specifically, no user accessible local operating system software to accidentally corrupt. The end result? The near elimination of IT support for desktop users. Singh says, “There is no way that any business information will be stored on the device, as the thin client lacks local storage, thereby greatly enhancing enterprise security. Similarly if a device fails, a new thin client device can be plugged into the power outlet and the network cable connected and it is ready to use. Indeed, any user can log into a desktop from any thin client system in the enterprise.”



Read on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...