Skip to main content

Citrix on VMware, Oil and Water?

Citrix at a high load can be a demanding application due to high kernel-resource utilization and a high level of context switches associated with its underlying Terminal Server architecture. But in many environments this high utilization often doesn't occur. Many times, application conflicts -- or the need for security isolation among applications or users -- force a horizontal scaling of Citrix servers. These kinds of applications or users that can't cohabitate on a single server can result in an organization buying new Presentation Servers even though existing server utilization is low.

In a virtualized environment, multiple server instances are enabled to run on the same physical server chassis. When application conflicts or security requirements force additional servers to be brought online, virtualization can enable it to be done with relative ease. You can copy and paste new servers to your heart's content until the hardware resources of your physical chassis max out.

VMware recently completed scalability tests that involved initiating a series of increasing user log-ons to a virtualized Citrix server, followed by a pre-recorded series of actions using Microsoft Word. The test simulated users logging in, opening a Word document and typing for up to 15 minutes. CPU resources were measured so as to identify the number of users capable of being supported by the hardware chassis when running at up to 80 percent of CPU utilization.


Greg Shields is a renowned writer and trainer. Read the rest here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...