Skip to main content

AMD: what is "Extended Virtualization"

The SSE5 extensions to the X64 instruction set are much more important than the virtualization announcement, and both are unquestionably less important--at least for now--than getting a competitive quad-core processor out the door to compete with Intel. Just like AMD took the bull by the horns and added 64-bit memory extensions to the X86 architecture years ahead of Intel, with the SSE5 extensions AMD is going to take the SSE instruction set developed for 32-bit X86 and 64-bit X64 processors by Intel and extend them. The SSE5 specs are also being put out there for all to see, and they include special instructions for number-crunching, media processing, and memory operations that substantially speed up the performance of applications.

SSE is Intelspeak for Streaming SIMD Extensions, and SIMD is short for Single Instruction Multiple Data. Intel introduced SSE in 1999 with its Pentium III processors, and it was a direct response to the multimedia extensions called 3DNow that AMD created for its Athlon processors. Intel has currently put forth a set of instructions called SSE4, which will appear in its future "Penryn" Core 2 processors later this year.


Read more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...