quick look at the features:
Check out the press release .
New features in XenEnterprise v4 include:
- XenMotion and Server Resource Pools:
- Combines multiple hosts into a powerful, scalable, and dynamically manageable pool of virtual resources and leverage XenMotion to enable live migration of running virtual machines between hosts to achieve resilient, optimal resource utilization for virtual infrastructure. Automated host configuration means no per-host configuration in a resource pool, dramatically simplifying pool management. Users can simply drop virtual machines on a resource pool and the pool assigns the right resources.
- 64-bit Hypervisor for Real-World Applications
- Scales XenEnterprise with increasing memory density and CPU core counts, with support for up to 128GB of physical memory, and with per guest VM limits of 32GB. The new release also supports up to 8-way SMP per guest, and leverages ACPI to support dynamic hot-plugging of CPU, network and storage into running virtual machines. The powerful hypervisor feature-set allows XenEnterprise v4 to support a higher density of virtual machines per host, with increased ROI and consolidation payback.
- XenCenter: Resilient, Integrated Virtual Infrastructure Management
- Manages virtual infrastructure for the entire XenSource product family, offering the first enterprise virtualization management solution without a single point of failure. Management state is replicated across all hosts in a resource pool, enabling any host to assume the role of pool leader on demand, and dramatically enhancing resiliency and scalability of virtual infrastructure management. XenCenter is included as part of the core XenEnterprise v4 offering at no additional charge.
- Open Storage Repository API:
- Offers the industry’s broadest range of direct attached and shared storage for virtual machines including virtual disk images using NAS, iSCSI and SAN based storage infrastructure certified by XenSource through its OEM agreement with Symantec, whose Veritas Storage Foundation product suite will be included as an integrated component of a forthcoming point release of v4.
- Delivers powerful snapshotting, cloning and thin provisioning for virtual hard disks, leveraging the integrated features of modern storage infrastructure, without requiring a proprietary cluster file system and backup technologies. Via the open Storage Repository API, customers and partners can implement additional storage repository types, integrating storage virtualization and server virtualization into a powerful virtual infrastructure.
- Supports file-backed virtual hard disks using the Microsoft VHD format, as well as block backed raw virtual disk images.
- XenAPI: Open APIs and Development Kits for OEMs, ISVs, and Enterprises
- Offers the same, XML-RPC standards based management API from XenExpress to XenEnterprise. XenSource v4 offers language bindings in C, C# and Java and a powerful CLI with bindings in three popular scripting languages to empower ISV, OEM and channel partners to create a broad-range of customer-needs driven value-added solutions – protecting management investment and fostering a rich open ecosystem of value-added products.