Well they wer part of the development program and couldn't stop their developers (or should I say the marketing folks) from putting their drivers on the pavement!
- The software drivers are based on OpenFabrics Enterprise Distribution (OFED) version 1.2 enabling broad interoperability with other operating systems and the ecosystem of OEM supplied servers, switches, gateways and storage systems
- LAN and SAN functionality is available over unified server I/O using high bandwidth InfiniBand connectivity. This reduces cabling complexity and reduces I/O cost (50 – 60%) and power (25-30%) significantly
- LAN performance (from VMs) of close to 3X Gigabit Ethernet has been achieved
- SAN performance (from VMs) of close to 10X 2Gb/s Fibre Channel has been achieved
- LAN and SAN performance scales linearly across multiple VMs
- Completely transparent to VMs as applications in VMs continue to work over legacy NIC and HBA interfaces that have been already qualified on
- All VMware functionality such as VMotion®, high availability and others are available over the InfiniBand fabric (just as they are available over Ethernet and Fibre Channel fabrics)
- All VMware ESX supported guest operating systems are supported
- Management and configuration using VMware Virtual Center maintains the look an feel of configuring NICs and HBAs, making it easier for IT managers to configure the allocation and management of LAN and SAN resources over InfiniBand
Check out the rest.