Skip to main content

iSCSI Virtualization: Ever heard of Stonefly?



StoneFly's Product Manager, Jame Ervin, has written a neat article on Intelligent IP SANs. They're cheap, they're smart and they're what a typical SMB would want!

Three Major Approaches to Virtualizing Operating Systems and Applications

A simple way to maximize system utilization and take advantage of the huge processing power of current hardware platforms is to use server virtualization. The three major approaches to virtualizing operating systems and applications include emulation, para-virtualization, and operating system virtualization. These are described in more detail below. Each type has specific benefits and drawbacks. Some approaches attract more media attention than others, but it is important during the planning phases to evaluate the approaches and choose what makes the most sense in your environment based on your priorities, whether they are performance, hardware utilization, consolidation, or application availability.

  • Emulation virtualization platforms use a reference hardware platform to emulate, which specifies the CPU, memory and add-on components independently of the actual hardware the VM is installed on; all of the guest machines also take advantage of the reference platform. This approach is ideal when the application requires specific hardware or systems to run properly, but it may have more performance limitations than other approaches since performance is limited to the reference platform. This approach can have multiple operating system kernels (Unix, Linux or Windows variants) running simultaneously on the same hardware.
  • Para-virtualization adds a hypervisor that manages the communications of the virtual machines to the physical hardware devices. In order for paravirtualization to work, the operating system needs to be "hypervisor" aware and know to look in the hypervisor to execute commands. It is difficult to use older operating system kernels with this approach, but it offers performance advantages over the emulation approach since the hypervisor acts like a standard OS that communicates with the actual hardware devices. This approach also allows the simultaneous use of multiple operating systems.
  • Operating system-level virtualization allows one machine to run multiple instances of the same operating system. Since this approach has a single, native operating system communicating with the hardware devices, it is very speedy and efficient, but this approach cannot be used to consolidate multiple operating system kernels.




Check out his article here.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! Jame

    ReplyDelete
  2. smart. finally someone puts these virtualization technologies into perspective! Great perspective from StoneFly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...