Skip to main content

VMmark builsd 1.0 ready for benchmarking!



In order to produce the benchmark, VMware has avoided the relatively easy approach of measuring the performance of virtual applications software running on specific machines. Instead, the benchmark measures the scalability of heterogeneous virtualised workloads. According to VMware: "It provides a consistent methodology so benchmark results can be compared across different virtualisation platforms."

The result is that, by using the benchmark, companies should be able to "make appropriate hardware choices, and compare the performance and scalability of different virtualisation platforms", VMware says.


Nice stuff this benchmarking. But will the clients really benchmark their stuff. Or lwetm e put it more bluntly, how the heck are you going to tell a client/customer to benchmark if they just have no clue of why a benchmark is done in the first place. Now that will not mean that all the clients are that way. I am pretty sure that besides silencing folks who have run tests/benchmarks on their own on the web, it will help VMware respond with the "did you use VMmark for it?". So once again besides the cosmetic response to a Gung-ho tester, it surely will help customers do "some kind of testing" before they start deploying VMware in their organizations. And obviously hats off to the VROOM! team!

Article here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...