Skip to main content

Virtualization makes mergers easy!




And infrastructure managers would agree. Why? Just think about the following:


  • Scalability: And you don't have to move to a bigger datacenter, all you need is a few high performing servers and you have your new acquisition neatly aligned. And it won't surprise me if you did have loads of room for scalability within your existing datacenter!
  • Migration (Matter of copy/paste OR do planned P2V)
  • Cost reduction as a default option (Today managers are considered heroes if they can come up by saving some cost here and there by looking for cheaper contracts, if they are not able to setup an internal shop) but in Virtualization cost-reduction comes by default!
  • Logistics (Copy over the net? Think of the Global Service and Delivery model, Today we move our Data Centers to Guatemala, next year we can go to Dalian). Examples here, here. Also feel free to search for any GDM related posts.
  • Measurability : And here could be the danger. If your CIO (imagine an ex-infra guy who knows enough about Virtualization) is aware of what he really wants, you as the Infrastructure manager might have to really report on the collected data. Yep, and that's where the catch is, if you don't know what to do with the data, then you could be in for a lot of surprises. Such as contracting external parties and consultants who will hurt your ROI considerably. So if you really don't know "who's driving who" (= am I really deciding or the decision is taking form somewhere else!), voice it to the higher management.
  • Containability: If its measurable, then it has got to containable. Define phases and box the promised merger in pre-defined boxes.


Anyways this article encompasses more domains than just Virtualization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...