Skip to main content

Hostworks customers want VMware but nineMSN insists on Microsoft



Obviously customers don't matter, right?

"Let's say you have 10 four-way quadcore hosts for a big site like Big Brother or NineMSN," he said. "To use all the power of the machines, each core counts as a CPU. The downside is you end up with 40 virtual servers, which is hard to manage.

Hostworks thus tends to only use virtualisation on smaller one- and two-way servers for smaller clients or those with low throughput paths.

Hostworks' server consolidation is somewhat unique in that they are deploying virtualisation tools from both VMware and Microsoft.

Most of Hostworks' customers choose VMware, but NineMSN insists on using Microsoft. "The reason we are deploying both is that NineMSN is half-owned by Microsoft," Gauvin said.


Anyways waiting for a product that will be first class when ready for production in 2008 or 2009, is not really smart. Maybe by then we won't be doing virtualization the way we are today.

Read the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...