Skip to main content

Monster.com uses balancepoint to balance out its virtual infrastructure



For Monster, managing this challenge required multiple tools, a situation that's not uncommon. Monster uses Akorri's BalancePoint to augment the capabilities of VMware's two main management products, VMotion (which increases hardware utilization by migrating VMs on failing or underperforming servers to another machine) and Distributed Resource Scheduler (which couples with VMotion to allocate resources to high-priority VMs based on preestablished rules you set).

A key point: DRS and VMotion show where to balance workload, but they aren't analytical and don't see contention with other apps outside of VMware, King says. Since BalancePoint isn't tied to the OS, it can see if VMware performance is impacted by other apps residing on the same SAN resources, he says. "DRS just sees what it sees for performance through the host (CPU, memory and storage), but it can't see what the database server that's on the same side as the SAN is doing," says King.


Using BalancePoint from Akkori helped them manage the evergrowing farm of the VMs. Remember that it will happen to you too. Do make sure you go ahead with the right partner when managing your Virtual Infrastructure.

Rest of the news here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...