Skip to main content

VMware : So what will Virtualization fetch?



This nice article at SeekingAlpha. A good summary of how to survive as a Billion dollar company

When distributed transactions hit the mainstream, BEA was there. As transactions expanded into JAVA application servers, BEA shifted too. But the underlying technology had been around for a long time, in some cases 20 years, before being broadly adopted. And even BEA stalled out at $1B in revenues. So, is virtualization set to push a company like VMware into a sustained growth market above $1B in revenues? Thanks to the recent S1 filing we can all see that:

# VMware reached $704M in revenues for 2006.
# Its growth trajectory suggests revenue estimates just above $1B for this calendar year.
# Operating expenses grew rapidly last year, up 100% vs. the 80% revenue increase.

Using some simple back of the envelope figures we’re guessing the stock will trade off of a 50c earnings number and could enjoy a 40x P/E multiple. That means a $20 stock drives a $6.6B market capitalization, and if that scenario plays out EMC will have a nice 10x return on investment over just three years. Still, investors should be concerned over what their equity stake is really buying.


Original stuff is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here