Skip to main content

New York Times: Is VMware the new king of X86 world?



When I saw the title "A Software maker goes up against Microsoft". I smiled wryly. Wouldn't "software maker against software maker" be the better title? Lets break this up ans see what I think of it here.

“There are certainly some analogies here to what Microsoft did with Netscape,” said Mendel Rosenblum, a founder of VMware and its chief scientist.


Maybe Mendel, but the only difference is Netscape was a browser and IE practically didn't exist in the internet world. Microsoft's OS is getting enough poor reviews. Organizations are continuously choosing for Linux OS. Embracing Novell will eventually deliver a dead-lock (to one of them, I am predicting both). We are not in the 90's and the web and blogs and customers are all telling tales of what they want.

VMware is leery of such an accommodation, fearing it would prove to be a one-sided bargain. “We will not sign agreements that give Microsoft control of this layer,” Ms. Greene said


Absolutely! The one who controls the Management layer will dictate the terms. Virtualization promises us freedom. Freedom to choose services. Get rid of them if not required. Move them somewhere else without any complications. And all that happens on that "Management Layer". No wonder Microsoft is doing everything to grab it. Although one ought to see Virtualization as the aerospace and OSs as just merely Airplanes. (Vista OS Airlines is suggested here at Digg :-))

And don't worry about VMware. All the offerings from Virtual Iron and other Xen offerings are building solid robust interfaces for Linux interface. I remember the time when reading an archive news about VMware as "The Linux Company". They soon moved over to Windows as obviously a lot of OS software was that of Microsoft. But Linux is on the rise as well. And massively! I will be traveling to Africa again to talk about Virtualization (besides my project where I am proposing VMware as the Virtualization platform -- please someone throw a chair at me..now) and all I hear is Linux. In India too, all I hear is Linux deployments.

Ok to end this on a more softer tone: I firmly believe that firms ought to learn to stop doing the "you build your stuff on mine" and start concentrating on coexistence (think : compatibility, alignment)

Read the original article.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...