Skip to main content

Microsoft embraces yet another Virtualization vendor



Ashlee reports from The Register:

It is, however, another sign that Microsoft is willing to get along with other players in the virtualization game - most notably XenSource - if that will help the companies give clear market leader VMware a bit of trouble.

Microsoft is in the midst of overhauling its server virtualization software, as it has a less than competitive product available for free at the moment. Eventually - please, please don't hold your breath - Microsoft will release the fresh virtualization code via an update to Longhorn Server.

When that day arrives, the beasty from Redmond may be less comfortable helping out rivals. In the meantime, though, it would prefer to lessen VMware's clout in the market by pushing customers anywhere besides the EMC subsidiary in Palo Alto.


The reason I like the folks at Register and Inquirer is not because of their sheer love for Microsoft but for the plain fact that they are brutally honest! So here's my honesty.

SWsoft didn't make it to the survey of virtualization vendors and I'm sure the whole Virtualization community is waiting for Longhorn's greatest virtualization code. Yeah.

Mark my words: Capacity for mischief does not compensate for lack of creativity. While VMware is making strategic partnership with storage vendors, network vendors the other virtualization folks are group hugging in the isolation glass chamber labelled as "Empty basket? enter here". Honestly I am still waiting for a real good product that comes anywhere close to VMware.

Read on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...